China says has netted one-third of top overseas graft suspects

Author(s): Ben Blanchard, Michael Perry | Date: September 6, 2016 | Language: English
Source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/ | URL: http://goo.gl/2E5GPC | Type: text

BEIJING: China has bought back to the country one-third of those on its top 100 list of most wanted corruption suspects who have fled overseas, the ruling Communist Party’s top graft buster said on Tuesday.

China issued the list in 2014 of people subject to an Interpol “red notice” – the closest instrument to an international arrest warrant.

Since then, 33 of those people have been caught, the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection said in a short statement.

Over the past two years since setting up a team to chase graft suspects across the globe, the body has returned to China 1,915 people from more than 70 countries, along with 7.47 billion yuan (US$1.12 billion), it said.

It provided no other details.

China has been trying to get increased international cooperation to hunt down suspected corrupt officials who have fled overseas since President Xi Jinping began a war against deeply rooted graft almost four years ago.

This is a text block. Click the edit button to change this text..

0 Comments

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*